Saturday, April 16, 2005

The Pianist

Once again, a great movie I had no idea about. Maybe I should start paying attention to all those reviews....NOOOO! Just kidding! I like discovering movies on my own-I hate it when I say "oh I saw such and such..." and someone else says "really??? I didn't see it cuz I saw it got bad reviews..." GAG

So, first I have another confession: I used to think it funny to be in the movie store with my husband and like to say loudly "do you want the peeenist? let's get the peeeeinist!" Yeah, I have a sense of humor like a 12-year old. Now I'm so ashamed. I didn't know it was such a powerful, serious movie...

ever since I was a kid, and I would read about horrible things that happened in history, I would always think "what would I have done?" Like I remember in grade school, learning about slavery, I would daydream..."if I were there, I would be a great leader and convince everyone that slavery is wrong..." and learning about the holocaust, I would think "I would totally hide someone..."

Funny how all through the Pianist, the same thoughts crossed my mind. I like to think if I were alive during those times, I would have harbored a family, brought food, been part of the "underground" i like to think so, of course there's no way to "really know," is there? But I think I do know, crazy as that might sound. But some things I think are worth fighting for, you know?

Things like that also make me proud to be liberal. Some people say the term like it's so negative, but really, look what thinking progressively has done! SIGH...

3 Comments:

Blogger sylence said...

oh, the humor of a 12-yr-old...i share that humor, ice. totally!
i often wonder these things, too...but i wonder other things, as well. "would i have been the oppressor or the oppressed?" "would i have ever realized i was wrong/right in my thinking?" i'm sure that even the oppressor feel they are doing no harm...and i have often felt that way about "minor" situations until re-examining it later on.
bottom line, though... saying "pianist" still brings on a slight chuckle. heehee...i said "pianist."

7:58 PM  
Blogger friday said...

i don't get it...what?! what?!...
kidding..i get it...i am like totally twelve too...

10:33 AM  
Blogger sylence said...

and that's why we all get along so incredibly well...

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home