Wednesday, April 27, 2005

More than just teachers need higher pay

I've had this idea for a TV show for a while now. Please don't stop reading, but it's a reality show.

It would be a show highlighting different people in different careers, to hopefully show that we need all these professions, increase appreciation for those that are underappreciated, and maybe even be used in school to show kids different career paths (I also think something like this would make a great class in high school since so many kids have no idea what they want to be, and also have no idea what their options are).

Teachers are great, but it seems like whenever the issue of underappreciated and underpaid workers comes up, it always goes to teachers. But there are many people who work more than 8.5 months out of the year and get paid much less, but aren't getting any sort of recognition. This show would be for them.

I'm talking about social workers, nurses, retail workers, janitorial staff, cooks, secretaries, etc. People of all education levels and salaries, all of whom are needed to keep our society running. My show would focus on one person each episode, cover how the person entered the profession, what requirements are needed to enter the profession, and what the typical day is like.

I truly think every working person is essential to our society. If there were no janitorial staff, we'd all be sick from the bacteria. If there were no cooks/waitstaff, we couldn't go out to eat. Without social workers, so many children would have no voice, or a home.

I'm so tired of people taking so many things for granted- And people thinking they are better than others who work in lower paying/underappreciated jobs.

**Just a sidenote, here but I have to say that I'm really happy that I work in a place that doesn't think like this. Whether, you work in the cafeteria or the "corporate office," you are treated well by fellow employees. Where I used to work, the "head honcho" would not acknowledge those below him, but here, he (that is, the "head honcho") knows my name, and most everyone's name! I wish more places were like that...

WE ARE ALL IMPORTANT!!!!

4 Comments:

Blogger sylence said...

i would totally watch this show. you should pitch this idea to a network...or oprah. but, i have my own sidenote...not all social workers work with children. there is a wide range of opportunities out there--such as working with refugees, por ejemplo. :) but, i'm just saying...
and let's not forget the sociologists in this show, my friend. where would we be without them?

8:24 AM  
Blogger acakai said...

OF course, I know that not all social workers work with children! I just happen to know this fabulous one personally. And yes, sociologists would def make the list as well!

7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know one job that wouldn't make your show...catholic priest preaching in Coppell, Tx...fishin' trips, cruises to Cozumel...geez, i thought humility and denial of "worldly" things were supposed to bring you closer to God...i'm just sayin'...
-abraxas

9:21 PM  
Blogger sylence said...

oh, abraxas, you should check out my hometown and a few baptist preachers there...it would shock you...or not.

6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home