Monday, April 11, 2005

I'll never understand

I played Halo for the first time yesterday. Not to sound too corny, but I found it really disturbing. To be shooting these things, going around in tanks with other marines, it was just very strange knowing that at that very moment someone could really be doing that in real life. Sure they were "monsters" in the game, which I guess is supposed to make it less cruel in some way? But I would imagine that's what the soldiers are trained to think too, "these are monsters, not people that you are out there to kill, do you understand? Now, go kill, kill, killl!" Aughh, so sick! If only we had a brilliant leader who could fight with reason, not with lives...
But really, I don't get the fascination with these violent games kids play nowadays. Whatever happened to some of my favorites, like wheel of fortune, familiy fued, but who wants to learn nowadays, huh? I feel so old right now. Dammit, it should be a normal reaction to feel bothered about going out and killing people-game or not. pick up a book, kids, go outside and play, stop being so desensitized to such violence!
I remember seeing footage of the soldiers in Iraq, in combat, and they were on this tank and they had rock music going loud, and they were shooting out at the "enemy." These kids shooting, like it was some live video game to them. Anyone else remember seeing this? Was it in a Michael Moore movie? So sick. If only we lived in a world where killing others was actually considered wrong. Oh but wait, we're more concerned about gay marriages and feeding tubes aren't we? I'll never understand, and I don't know if I want to.

1 Comments:

Blogger friday said...

yeah, you should totally go see "gunner palace"...i know you would appreciate it...and maybe, just maybe, you won't have a heckler in your audience like we did...
and, well, it goes without saying "trivia" is still the greatest game next to scrabble...

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home