Sunday, April 10, 2005

Boys don't cry

I went and rented two movies tonight- I purposely stayed away from the new releases section and checked out a couple older movies I never saw (I highly recommend doing this by the way, so many good movies out there, beyond that new releases wall). I just finished watching Boys don't cry. Not only had I never seen it, but (*acakai looks down and around shamefully and brings voice down to a whisper*) I didn't even know it was based on a true story...

First, I have to say, how cool was Lana!!??? Lana, who accepted Brandon, who truly didn't care about his body parts, and just liked him as a person, I wish there were more Lanas in the world.
But unfortunately there's few Lanas and lots of Johns.

I was so pissed at what happened to Brandon in the movie, and then when the text at the end came up, telling what happened to all the characters in real life, I almost jumped out of bed. What? How had I not heard about this before? My "equal rights activist card" should be taken away due to ignorance, I'm such a disgrace...

IMHO, transgenderism is an issue that is not discussed enough. I did notice the movie briefly touched over a few things like: 1.) in the beginning when Brandon made a comment that he couldn't afford surgery (to my knowledge, it's not covered by most insurance, besides the fact that the do a shotty job half the time) 2.) When he's trying to exlain himself and he says he is a hermophodite-I know it's different, but I can only imagine all the possibilities running through one's head when struggling with a sexual identity (always trying to fit into a category that never seems to be there) 3.) When his cousin says "just admit you are a dyke" (his words, not mine, but he was trying to tell Brandon that he was a lesbian) and Brandon says no, it's different. I think that's a common misconception that people have, I'm sure you've all heard that one before.
Also I'm thinking those numerous intimate scenes were intentional and strategically placed in the movie because I think that so many people would ask all those questions like how do he and lana have sex? How does he hide his breasts? Is he a hermophodite?
No, I'm not trying to be an expert on this topic, nor do I have any idea of what it's like to be transgendered. But that doesn't mean I can't at least try and relate, and learn more. Education is the key to tolerance, right?
If you also like to explore topics outside yourself, I read this book a few months ago: She's Not There. Admittedly I was a little disappointed in the book because it was supposed to be a personal look into a transgendered person's life, and it just didn't seem to go deep enough to me. (Meaning, it didn't seem to go much past the "i like girly things like earrings and dresses.") Plus, her friends and family were very accepting in the book, which is fantastic, I just wonder how much was left out, and why? (We know it's not always a rosy world). I really wish there were more books/movies/anthing else out there on this topic. Knowledge is power, dammit!

Anyway, I'm falling asleep on the keyboard here, must stop blabbering.

P.S. I saw Hilary Swank on Oprah a couple months ago, and Oprah mentioned that she wanted to show a clip of Boys don't cry, but didn't because she didn't see it ethically right that they wanted $9,000 for her to show the clip, yet Swank only got paid $3,000 to do the movie

2 Comments:

Blogger friday said...

geez i miss you ice...you always have the best things to say...from what i have read, they are working on a "hollywood" version of the movie "southern comfort"...my first question was "why?"...because the documentary was not based on a true story...it WAS THE true story...but i guess they have to slick things up to get "mainstreamers" to watch anything...and i think that sucks...because it won't be the same...you won't see the true progressions...or the true happiness...or true pain...hollywood, oh hollywood, i hate you, you stink...

all this to say we, because i think i can speak for those around me, miss our smart and oh-la-la sexy, librarian...

and p.s. i can totally vouch for your equal rights activism if they need any references....

12:01 PM  
Blogger acakai said...

That's crazy, I can't believe they are going to make a "hollywood" version. I thought the original was pretty popular in the first place, plus a low budget film seemed to really fit the story. Everything from Lana's flat and badly dyed hair (not trying to be mean, but I think that's realistically what she would have looked like in real life, not like some supermodel) and the dim lighting...well it just wouldn't be nearly the same if someone like reese witherspoon were in the movie, with perfect hair and makeup, trying to play someone who was either basically homeless or struggling to survive in an alchoholic home and working in a dead-end job.

P.S. I miss you guys too! :)

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home