Friday, January 14, 2005

Unveiling the mystery...

So I just got back from yet another interview. This one was in Florida. The area was gorgeous! And check this-I was flown in first class. Honestly, I felt a little like I didn't belong in the first class area. No joke-1.) I was the only brown person and 2.) I was the youngest (unless you count the one baby that flew first class in her mom's lap...) When the flight attendant came around to take our orders, she said "Ms. Johnson?" I was a little flustered and worried like "OH no, I'm not Ms. Johnson, this is when she finds out I don't really belong and she kicks me back to coach.." But the guy next to me was mr. johnson and was actually sitting in my seat. Whew, so I got to stay with the high rollers. I'll have to say, in case any of you were like me and thought of the first class section as some big mystery, let me let you in on the inside scoop:
1. The seats as you probably know are leather (or feaux, I can never tell) and there is much more room. Plus there is a blanket for everyone.
2. The tray comes from the side of the seat, kind of like in college when you have classes in the auditorium. But I think I gave away that I wasn't a "first class" flyer when I couldn't get the damn tray out or put it back. Oh, and there's a pretty roomy flat table like place between you and the person next to you to put your drinks.
3. You can order wine and they offer you drinks while you wait for takeoff.
4. You get a whole meal! I had a salad and a roasted vegetable pizza. It was quite good! I cleaned my plate. Oh and the drinks come in real glasses! And the flight attendant comes around with refills.
5. You get roasted peanuts in a ceramic tin while you wait for your meal. MMMM...never had that before, was excellent.
6. They come around with hot towels, which I have no idea what they are for. I said no thanks since I didn't know what the heck to do with it, and observed what other people did-one old man wiped his face with it but I wasn't really interested in having a makeup remover. And the ladies just ignored the flight attendant as she handed them out and they just sat on their tray.
7. The people are pretty much what I expected. The couple in front of me for example, looked very "high maintenance." The man had shoulder length curly hair that looked like he styled it every morning. The woman had lots of makeup, a volumized hair style, and a HUGE wedding ring (I expected her to walk out sideways or maybe shift the plane a little with that rock, but she walked normally and there wasn't a special announcement from the pilot for her to remain steady...)
That's all I can tell you. I honestly tried to stay awake the whole time so I didn't miss anything, but I fell asleep shortly after my meal. Darn it!

As for the interview, I still suck! You'd think I'd be a pro by now. But I still get restless and it seems like by the end when they ask if I have any questions, I still freeze up because usually my questions have already been answered! Of course, now that I'm home and relaxed I can think of tons of questions! Dammit, dammit! But the informal stuff, like going to dinner and lunch with the staff I thought went well. I'm much better in more relaxed settings than sitting in the hot seat trying to "prove my worth."

What a journey this has been-wow this ended up a long post. Wish me luck!

8 Comments:

Blogger sylence said...

oh, ice, you crack me up...just ask friday. and thanks to you, i now know what i'm missing in first class--huge rocks, drinks on the rocks, and so much more. ah well, i'll just stick with my southwest flights--where everyone is coach passenger and no one gets special treatment. haha. those hot towels feel real good on the face after a superlong flight where you are not worried about your make-up getting smeared. it's supposed to open the pores back up. i don't know. bottom line: people are dumb to not hire you. just give me names and i can have them taken care of real quick, if you know what i mean... ::nod nod, wink wink, nudge nudge::

10:21 AM  
Blogger acakai said...

Hey sylence,
No need to take care of anyone cuz I was hired! Yay! No joke, I was offered a position in a very ideal job and setting. Woo-hooo! Tell you more about it all later,

7:46 PM  
Blogger friday said...

i mean, yeah, i am happy and all...but florida ain't in texas...right? geez...and we were all getting all cozy...tell me it's one of those work from home positions....grrrrrr....fine, i'll try and be supportive...good-day...I SAID GOOD-DAY!

12:38 AM  
Blogger sylence said...

wow...so many different emotions going on, it's hard to express them all without seeming completely crazy. But the truth of the matter is, i'm proud of you, Ice! i knew you would do it!! that is so freakin' awesome!!! you will have to share the details!!!! ack!!! so friggin' awesome!!! yes, i will miss those random nights of going out to the little D and hitting the bars with you and friday and the rest of the crew, but, i'm willing to make this sacrifice if this is what you really want! double ack!!! so awesome!!! CONGRATULATIONS, ICE!!

10:01 PM  
Blogger friday said...

wow...never received that kind of emotion over my stupid job or anything....geeeeez...sounds like you could use a little prescription to take care of that horrible ACKing problem you have...

11:50 AM  
Blogger sylence said...

i can never win. sigh.

5:28 PM  
Blogger acakai said...

Well, I appreciate the comments sylence! You just gotta shake those haters off sometimes....Tee-hee just kidding friday!

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey ang!!! congrats on the job and i really think its great you are moving back to the east coast baby!!! now you are only 12 hours away from me. you better come visit. come in first class i want to hear more stories!

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home