Sunday, January 09, 2005

Eve was raped

I recently finished reading The Garden by Elsie V. Aidinoff. Although I just noticed the reviews for this book were somewhat poor, I rather enjoyed this book.

The story of The Garden (yes, that garden) is told from Eve's perspective. The main turning point of the book is when she is raped, with God's encouragement. God was depicted as not a loving being, but rather one that wanted everyone to fear and worship him. Because of this rape, Eve loses her trust and some respect for God and further explores her own potential. Throughout the book, Eve is the typical woman (compassionate, expresses her feelings well, likes arts and crafts, etc.) while Adam is the typical man (doesn't communicate or listen well, is very athletic, etc.). And the serpent I loved-he was intelligent and caring and made Eve have a night long ecstasy filled with orgasms.

One of my favorite parts of the book was when Eve had dreams of what was implied to be the future. In one of her dreams, she is another woman, and she is holding her young daughter. They are stranded in a sea, and a ship passes by. Her daughter reaches for the ship and tries to climb on, but a man smashes her head and says "NO! He said only 2 of each, and we have that, no more!" It's good to know I wasn't the only one who questioned that story in the bible-what about all the others? They were just left to die?

This is a great book and I highly recommend it to anyone who has ever questioned God, religion, the bible, etc. I was disappointed, however at the end in the author's note. She said "I do not consider this a feminist book..." and then in the same paragraph, she says "This may be the Eve we would have seen if the Bible had been composed by a less patriarchal society." Okay, Aidinoff, let's not be afraid of the f-word now...

Reading this almost made me reach for the bible to read the original story of the garden. Almost. But now I'm ready to move on to the next book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home