Monday, November 08, 2004

If you can't join em, beat it!

So, I've been seriously thinking about going back to school. I've gotten to the point where I've become disgusted with the profession I chose and want to go somewhere else.

What to do? Where to go? I've been thinking about my passions and interests. I've been volunteering off and on since I was a teenager. I'm a huge advocate for equal rights. I love helping people. Hmmm....could social work be the right field for me? I was checking out the profession, and 1.) in 2002 the social work field had about twice as many jobs as librarians 2.) The pay is really not bad ( I remember thinking as a teenager that I would like to be a social worker but couldn''t live on $18,000 a year. Turns out the salary is much more reasonable. Who gave me that figure back then? Geez, I could have saved myself lots of time and heartache going for those two other degrees!) and 3.) It sounds great-directly helping people. What could be more rewarding than that?!!

But then again I think 1.) what a waste of those other degrees I worked for! 2.) I can't afford to go for more school! (Okay, maybe I could, I would just have to cut back on other things) and 3.) I fear that I might end up in the same situation as I am in now!

I tried becoming a librarian, thinking I would be helping people by providing them access to information. Turns out, 6+ months after I got the master's degree and almost a year since I've been seeking work, they don't want me! Who knows why, I'm tired of trying to figure it out. (You know that old stereotype of the old lady librarian? They will deny it, but it is SO true. Young people like me just aren't getting the jobs. )

But what if I do decide to go back to school, and then my hopes are let down again! Is it worth taking the chance again!??

I suppose I could go (part-time of course, so it would take a while) and think of it as a very long-term goal. That way I'm not rushing myself, can keep my current position, and then know that in several years I could have more job opportunities. That's it, more opportunities!

I've been looking for scholarships for financial assistance. Maybe I should write to Oprah and tell her my situation...

I liked it so much better when I was a kid thinking about what I want to be when I grew up. I never knew the reality of working hard towards a goal and being turned down. I was always taught that "anything is possible with hard work." Unfortunately, other factors get in the way.

What do you think, should I go back to school? If I decide to it will probably be summer 05 at the earliest. We shall see...

3 Comments:

Blogger sylence said...

ah, social work. perhaps i can shine a little light on the situation...after all, i went to college for four years to become a social worker...and here i am, doing work that helps my fellow human, but i could have acquired the job without my degree b/c they don't require me to be licensed. so, should you spend money and time on another degree such a social work? i don't think it's a bad idea, b/c you can never learn too much; however, you could try to apply for a job that you want and just list your volunteer activities in your resume and see if that works, too. for some jobs, it will...for others, it won't.
the one thing you will constantly get drilled into your noggin' while working towards a social work degree is the exact opposite of what most of us have been taught growing up: "anything is possible with hard work." bull. so many factors go into so many situations and the outcomes. blah.
and definitely write to oprah and tell her your plight. who knows? she may help ya out! do it. do it.

7:30 PM  
Blogger acakai said...

Thanks, sylence. So, I'm still leaning in that direction. But a lot of jobs I saw do require a license in social work? (Do you have that? Is there some test you have to take to be licensed?) Thanks for the input. Good thing I'm such a nerd and love school and learning. By the time I'm 30 I wouldn't be surprised if I had at least 4 college degrees (after all an MSW is preferred for lots of social work positions!) Professional student, that's me...

9:22 PM  
Blogger sylence said...

well, due to lack of finances, i have not taken my licensure exam, so, no, i'm not licensed...yet. what kind of jobs are you looking into that are requiring a licensed social worker?

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home